Thursday, October 15, 2009

my moon watcher

While getting ready to eat breakfast, out the window B saw the moon and pronounced. "Look! It's the broken moon". This isn't the first time she has said this and she isn't the first kiddo to notice the moon in the sky. But this is the first time I have had the camera handy when this astute observation has been made. I love the moon. I remember looking at it through binoculars when I was very little. While in college I began to take notice of its phases and how the tides matched its rhythm. I have learned (and forgotten some) the physics and mathematics of this phenomena and how to teach the basics to children. But nothing is more delightful than a preschooler's view of the world; a waning crescent moon that rises an hour or so before the sun and on its way to becoming a new moon is really just a "broken moon" waiting to be fixed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment