Thursday, December 1, 2011

Nana's sweet potatoes








A few pictures left on my camera from our Thanksgiving trip to Michigan. Once downloaded I remembered I had wanted to record my nana's sweet potato recipe on the blog. I have made it enough times now that I can remember in general the recipe but you know, it's good to have at all times vice stuck at home in the reciepe box like it was this time and has been a few times in the past. Of course I can always call Nana to ask, but it's also nice to share!

6 lbs of sweet potatoes (the kind with white flesh - not the orange yams though they work, just not as good)
1 lb of pork sausage (no flavoring)
1 Tbsp butter
1 sweet onion
2 eggs beaten
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 cup brown sugar

Peel potatoes and boil until softened. Mash.
brown sausage and saute the onions in the butter until soft
Mix the potato mash, sausage and onions with the eggs in a 9x13 baking dish
Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes

45 minutes before serving mix the evaporated milk and brown sugar together pour over the sweet potatoes and broil until brow on top. (This amount was a little too much for a quick broil so we baked it awhile (30 minutes). If you want to broil cut the amount of evaporated milk in half. This will also make a sweeter top.

No comments:

Post a Comment