Wednesday, July 21, 2010

rainy days

There is something about clouds and rain that make a NW girl like myself want to warm up in the kitchen, even when the thermometer reads 80+. Its part of the DNA or maybe nature's marketing power over me, screaming like a billboard sign; Time to Make Cookies! In addition to the rain (really deluge, accompanied with window-shaking thunderclaps and a few power outages) I had a few other impetus for wanting to bake today. We got our first energy bill and we did fairly well with our energy usage considering how expensive we had heard electricity was going to be down here. So we have a little room for baking. Second, a chocolate fix was needed and third I have been reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal Vegetable Miracle" and just finished a chapter about squash. Really the book is just a tease for me. I am in the last place on earth to put into action any of gardening wonders she so eloquently writes about - BUT, at the end of the chapter was a recipe for zucchini chocolate chip cookies and we just happened to have some zukes in the fridge. As for the recipe. Its OK, tastes good; more cakey like a muffin, than crunchy or chewy. But the kids really liked them so I cannot complain, because we aren't eating enough veggies down here as it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment